9/07/2006

SO, about that cooking and baking...

Okay, maybe some of you more experienced cooks can answer my question...

I know in my last post I had a short ramble of my newly found hobby of baking and cooking. Now, "Shake 'N Bake" has to be one of the easiest things you can do, right? (Give me a break, I'm a college student, and I had to do it before my night class tonight ;) Well.. me and Brittany were baking our chicken drumsticks, covered with shake n' bake crumbs, and I opened it up, just to take a peek... Well, these drumsticks were GUSHING with blood. I'm sorry if that makes your stomach twist. Yes, it was disgusting.... but... it was disgusting. Not knowing what to do, I called my mom, and her suggestion was to cook them longer, because they obviously weren't done. Well, we did, got them out, they were still gushing. ;) What do we do? We cook them longer, meanwhile eating the sides: rice and corn. Well... we took them out, cut 'em open, and I thought they looked fine. So, I ate one, and avoided the gushing part... Let's hope I don't die tonight...

So, can anyone solve the bloody drumstick mystery? Did I do something wrong? I bought them at Wal-Mart, which could mean something... or was the chiken just bad?

Any suggestions?

Confused and wondering,
Anti-Bloody Chicken

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Umm...coming from someone who feared cooking any kind of meat or poultry for the first year of marriage, I can totally empathize. From my experience, if my chicken stayed bloody too long (which it definitely did one time), it was because it wasn't completely thawed to begin with; the slightly frozen temp. on the inside made it require a MUCH longer cook time. You can always make sure it's thawed by putting it on a defrost setting in your microwave for several minutes before cooking.

Oh, and for next time, please, please refrain from eating poultry that has any hint of pink on the inside! Red meat won't cause much of a problem if it's still pink inside, but even slightly raw poultry can cause terrible sickness.

Last tip: avoid Wal-Mart meats of any kind. I don't trust them, as they're packaged way ahead of time and frozen and shipped. Bad experiences in the past. Try for fresher stuff at HEB or another "real" grocery store with a meat dept.

Hope this helps, and above all, keep practicing your cooking! It WILL get better and more second-nature over time! ;)