6/15/2007

Decisions, decisions...

So, I haven't told any of you, but I'm thinking of certifying for English 8-12, instead of 4th-8th. I know I sound crazy, but lately I have been thinking of how much I'd rather teach more in depth literature, rather than the difference between a noun and an adjective. I have e-mailed my English Advisor, and we are talking about possibilities right now. I'm also still in the process of praying about this big decision, especially since I was so set on teaching middle school. I haven't fully made up my mind, but here is my reasoning so far:
- High School students are like mini-adults. A friend pointed out to me that many of them are taking their first big steps into the "real world". What a wonderful time to help guide them and encourage them!

-The type of Literature I would be teaching is more the the kind that I love. Stories full of symbolism, biblical references, and different interpretations. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a class where you discuss each other's perspectives on a character in a novel? These were the classes I enjoyed most in my schooling, how great it would be to teach them.

-The kids are more mature! This would especially be the case if I taught Advance Placement.

Please pray for me as I make this decision! Also, if you have any advice, just let me know. Yes, I know that most of the students would think I'm in high school, but I'm not going to look this young forever! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I haven't had time to catch up on your posts but I scanned through this one..
One of my good friends Emily (you might remember her from the bridal showers I had), is a 9th grade English teacher. If you would like to get in touch with her, I can give you her contact info. From what she has told me, she didn't like teaching freshmen regular english but loved AP English..so anyway, just thought talking to her might help!
Love ya!