3/29/2007

The Sin of Idolatry

I want to blog a little about something that really hit me at Revival. The very first night, Matt asked, "What is your hell?" He then gave examples of what many people struggle with. His first example was the single Christian girls he sees at his church that just graduate from college. The girl is thinking, "AH! I'm still single, and I'm *gasp* 22 years old." Then these girls proceed to date many guys, constantly giving their hearts away, because of their perception of hell: ending up alone.

Let me tell you, this hit me hard. That is definitely a struggle for me. I don't want to end up "alone".I want to be in love one day with a godly man. I want to have a family. I want, I want, I want, I want. Right??

While he continued to give other examples, his ultimate conclusion was that our hell should be separation from God. He went on to say that God created us with a desire to worship HIM(!!) but all too often we pin that desire on something that He created.
"...because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen." -Romans 1:25


I may not see it now, but I don't want to end up like this, 5, 10, 20 years down the road. I don't want to worship God's creation, rather than God himself.

Another thing Matt said that moved me was when he was talking about his daughter. He said that he so desperately wants for his daughter to grow up and marry a godly man, not just a cool Christian guy. How true is this!! Not only for the husband I want to marry one day, but I too don't want to be just a "cool Christian girl". I want to be a godly woman, I want to reflect His light, I want His words to constantly flow off of my lips! How beautiful will it be when I finally do meet that man of God. How beautiful will it be when I know that God blessed me because I did not give in to my desires to "not be alone", and instead of having that be my hell, my hell was being separated from Him! How beautiful will it be when I can share that love for the Father wish a wonderful, godly man! How beautiful will it be when that relationship glorifies the Lord because we are completely satisfied in Him.

And how beautiful it is that God hits me with these realizations so hard that I can find joy in Him because He is my Father, because He is good... when I delight in His love because it is so much better, powerful, and stronger than anything else I can ever find. How beautiful it is that I can be satisfied in Him and never be alone with or without an earthly relationship.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Krista, what beautiful writing. It is a true reflection of your innermost thoughts and the refining you have received through your education. Congrats miss.

Keep these thoughts close to you, you may write a book one day.

You are never alone, always remember that.

Much love to you,
Linda

Stephanie said...

This was so well-written, Krista. And such an important truth.

Alas, I've known many a "cool Christian guy", and given too much attention to several of them. I'm thankful that my God blessed me richly, nonetheless, with a godly man to marry. (Just as I'm convinced He will you.)

It kind of reminds me of what I like to pester young people like you about: to look for someone with CHARACTER, not just PERSONALITY...there IS a difference!

Anonymous said...

Unrelated to your blog-
I am thinking about you and how tough it is to have your dad leave yet again. Call me if you need anything at all..I really do know what you are going through!
~Lauren

Daisiesnroses said...

Hey! I believe with the others; you have a gift! I was moved by those two points he gave too. What a great definition of idolatry! I never thought if it that way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Daisiesnroses said...

Hey! I believe with the others; you have a gift! I was moved by those two points he gave too. What a great definition of idolatry! I never thought if it that way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Daisiesnroses said...

Hey! I believe with the others; you have a gift! I was moved by those two points he gave too. What a great definition of idolatry! I never thought if it that way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Daisiesnroses said...

Haha.. sorry about that...

allye said...

Hey Krista! It was so good to meet you finally last week after hearing so much about you! I'm really happy that you and Lauren are friends, you are both GREAT and will have a blast being roomies next year together. :) Hopefully we will get another chance to see each other and get to know one another a little more!

Have a great week!
Allye

Anonymous said...

Yay, I can't wait to see this new house of yours. Congrats!!! When do you move in?

-Jennifer