8/30/2007

Very glad, with a smile spread across my face... :)

Wow. That is all I have to say. By changing my major to teach high school instead of middle school, I have made a great decision. My classes are so in depth and I am loving every minute of them. My favorite class of the moment is Advanced Composition. We have been reading nonfictional stories lately, and then submitting our response journals online. At first, I felt as if everyone else besides me was somehow above me in their writing, analytical and reflective skills. Today was a major turning point for me. In our class, we are randomly chosen to "teach and take over" the class by our professor. Wouldn't you know it, I was called on today. :) I was nervous, but I came prepared with a list of questions for our reading Independence Day, by Lisa Chavez. At first I was discouraged because I felt as if I didn't clarify my question enough... as if people were just staring at me and blinking. Then, my teacher interrupted and pointed out that the metaphor I had thought of was one he had never heard of and wanted to research more. He told me that I needed to speak up more in class and be more assertive. How's the for a boost of confidence?! I was so excited because I felt as if the only person in the room that I really needed to approve of my question actually really loved it! I'm also thinking that his method of teaching, in allowing us to teach, is the best preparation I could have for student teaching, which is where I will be in one year.

My other classes are interesting, too. In Creative Writing, we are reading Catch-22 and writing poetry. In Shakespeare, we are reading Richard II, and giving oral presentations, as well as writing a very big research paper. In World Literature, we are teaching a lesson geared towards the grade we want to teach that deals with a piece of world literature and current events. In British Literature, we are reading the classics, like Beowulf. Can you sense the excitement I have as I write this? I know that I get overwhelmed with the busyness of it all sometimes, but I do enjoy it. I enjoy reading about peoples' lives and learning their stories. I'm also becoming so much more confident in my own writing, because I do have good experience in that. I had some of the best English teachers you could ask for back in high school. (Those classes kept me going in a way at Judson.)

Needless to say, I am very content. I am enjoying where life is at right now and I couldn't ask for it to be any other way. My parents (yes, plural- my dad is included!!)are coming on Saturday to move in some furniture to the house. I am so excited about our house! It is the cutest little house you will ever see! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista!
Glad to hear things are going well. I almost decided to be a high school English teacher, but I am happy with journalism.
I know what you mean about getting approval from the teacher. It's good to know you're on the right track sometimes.
Jess xx

Stephanie said...

So when do we get to see more pictures of the house after the move-in??? I'm SO glad your dad's back!!!