1/18/2009

.pruned for my own good.

So I'm sure you know the common metaphor that is found in John 15. It has been a verse that has just stuck with me over the years, and it's funny because I forget its deep truth quite often.

It'll be a month since I graduated and I've yet to find a job. This has been very hard on me. I first began struggling with my feelings of inadequacy during my last month of college. The though of moving home was soon to be a reality, and I was forced to deal with it. For about the last year or so I have been carrying everything in my life on my own, without feeling like I needed God for much at all. That may very well be a harsh sentence, but it's the truth. I have simply been going through the motions without Him.

This last month has been very enlightening for me, and again I am learning the lesson that God teaches us so much through our trials. I had a very hard interview experience a few weeks ago that I took quite personally. Long story short, I had basically been offered a job, prepared for it (going so far as booking a place to live!), and then at the last minute been rejected. This really tore me up inside, and while it may sound like such a small thing, I had nights where I would cry about it. It wasn't just that I had been rejected, but that I had seriously gotten my hopes up so high, and then felt like I had been brought back to square one completely. I mean, living with your parents? What a loser, right? Especially with no job.... Well, it took a few people (my dad, Russell) to wake me up out of my melancholy stage. More than enough people have been reminding me that I needed to have faith that God was going to do something and that I needed to trust Him.

So it's true. It's completely true. Trusting in God is what I need to do, and I have finally given Him the reigns. While I haven't landed my dream job yet, I do have a small PT job at my church's nursery here in SA. It's every Wed. and Sun. and I have the rest of the week to keep looking for jobs. Plus, once I do get a job, they have been gracious enough to let me work less hours if I need to. It may not sound like much, but it has already proven to be a big help with my self-esteem. Today was my first day, and I was reminded of my love for children as I got to take care of them. They were all so amazing, and it reminded me that God has a plan for me that fits my desires, too.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're not alone, Krista! Along with the great pruning passage, I'm often reminded of the Scriptures that let us know that the Lord disciplines His children that He loves. He allows these trials to teach us reliance on Him and how to be more Christ-like. Every now and then when my entire life is peachy keen, I'll stop in my tracks and wonder what I must be doing wrong to not be feeling the Lord's discipline! :)

I'll be praying that God will soon show you His next step for you, whether that be a job or something else. Miss you!

Brittany said...

Praying for you as you continue your job hunt! :) I am so excited for you to be in the 'real world' .. it seems like ages until I'm gonna get there! *hug* Miss you, Friend!