7/02/2007

Hopeless romantic?

Well here it comes... me writing about the one thing I'd rather not. But a big part of me has to, because I have to get it out. That's right.... the life of being single. I really do hate the phrase, "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." because you kind of begin to believe it. Now I know I am young and I have "my whole life" ahead of me, but sometimes a girl just has to wonder.

This summer has been particularly hard when it comes to this because all of my relatives call to check on me, and it's inevitable that they all ask "So are you dating yet?" I can only come up with so many different answers: "No, I'm just waiting for the right guy." "No, I'm too busy for a boyfriend." Someone even told me "Good." when I answered. Excuse me for being cynical about this, but if it's good to be single, why did you ask me if I was dating?

I may sound kind of upset right now, but it'd because I am. Even my co-workers, whom I've known for a little over a month, ask me. When I reply, I hear, "You're not dating?! Why not?!?!"

To be completely honest, the answer "I'm waiting for the right guy" is the truth. I really am. And no, I don't know how I will know if he's the right one, but I will. I have so many friends that are getting engaged, and while I am only 20 years old, it's hard not to think why I haven't even been on a date.

I want to feel like I'm special, and I want to be "swept off my feet". I desire to know what that feels like, you know? I want to laugh about things that don't matter, and go on walks with someone because we can. I want to take goofy pictures together. I want to go climb a mountain with him. I want to do my hair for a special occasion. I even want to buy a pretty dress so we can go dancing together, even if we both have two left feet. I want to write mushy letters, too. Yes, I'm your typical girl. But maybe not, because I have never done these things. But I want to. Hopeless romantic it is..

I know it's all in God's timing, but it's hard to not wonder...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

My dear Krista,

Of course you want all these things, because you're a girl...no, wait...because you're human! We all want to be loved, cherished, and swept off our feet. And we're made to be relational and want to share our lives with others.

Just remember, ideally, this "sweeping" would/should only happen once---by that 'right man' you referred to in your post. Any other "sweeping" would be premature, and a waste of precious emotional and spiritual energy.

It WILL happen, and not a day too soon...or a day too late.

And when people ask you about it, try to think of it as they intend it: a compliment, of sorts. Sure, it may not feel that way to you. (Probably much like a woman trying to conceive must feel each time she's asked when she's going to start a family.) But people really do usually ask because they like you and care about you, and they know what a wonderful "catch" you are. So there's astounded that suitors aren't hunting you down!

But all in the Lord's perfect timing, my dear. Try to live as though it could be years from now, while trusting as though it's going to be tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful way with words Krista!

Rachel Marie said...

I COMPLETELY agree with your first commenter, Krista, and I really want to encourage you to take those words to heart, and follow the advice. ;)

God's got great things in store for anyone who is devotedly willing to "wait" for His very best!

Don't ever give up! :)

I am glad that I stumbled across your blog... it's beautiful. ;)

Keep seeking JESUS!

Brittney said...

Aw, what a good post! Special thanks to Rachel Marie for giving me the link ;).

I just wanted to say I totally know what your shoes feel like. I'm wearing them, and often am very sick of them! :) But I have to realize that God's plan for my life is real, and as much as I hate this long waiting period, I'm willing to stick it out considering the blessings that He has in store for those who wait on Him.

I've been in this for 2 years longer than you... and I was the one who thought she'd get married at 17 :)... God gives grace!