1/21/2008

27 Dresses

(I thought it was hilarious that my dress from pageant was one of the bridesmaid dresses in the movie that was made fun of- maybe it's a good thing I didn't get the green one! hahaha)

I saw this movie today. It stars Katherine Heigl as an independent woman who ironically loves weddings and everything about them. She had been a bridesmaid in TWENTY-SEVEN WEDDINGS! How crazy is that?

Well, before I spoil the ending for you, I will let you know that this movie is a chick-flick. Now... if that doesn't spoil the ending for you, I don't know what will. As I was walking out of the theater last night, I thought to myself, "Self, why do I pay six dollars for a movie where I know that the main character will fall in love and live 'happily ever after'"? Yes, *gasp*, it's true- she fell in love, got married, walked off into the sunset with her knight in shining armor, and lived happily ever after. Or that's at least what they want you to believe :)

I know I must sound like the most bitter person that has seen this movie, but it's true! Why do we get sucked into this cycle? I'm just wondering. We (and by we I mean women) see a preview for a movie like this, say it looks soooo cute, and then go pay for it! When 98% of the time, we know that it's going to end happily.

I honestly have no idea what my point of this post is. I think it might be that I somehow always feel good after seeing these type of movies for about 10 minutes, but in all honesty, then I feel completely upset that I spent money on it. Yes, it was a great movie- it was "cute". But I don't always like the way these movies make me feel.

This past week God has shown me (as He seems to do a lot) that I am perfectly content- that I am fine. By this I mean, He is my rock, He is my refuge. These are the words I cling to from Psalm 73:
23 Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength [2] of my heart and my portion forever.

He is my strength, He is my portion.

I don't want a simple movie to make me feel otherwise.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Daisiesnroses said...

I read somewhere that it's not good for women to fill our heads with stories such as these, whether it be with movies or books - even if it's Christian fiction. It gives us false ideas of what love and marriage are really like. For example, Katherine Heigl's character said she was falling in love with James Marsden (can't remember their names in the movie) after just being with him a few times. I think that is very unrealistic.

Anyway, yes, movies like that make us feel good and I'm not sure why we buy into them all the time. Even though it's unrealistic, I still like to watch them... lol.

Glynis said...

i love chick flicks.

and i KNEW i recognized that dress from somewhere! haha! it was your dress! lol!!!! :) haha, for the record, i didn't think the green color was that ugly, anyways.

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista!
Thought I'd drop by your blog, as I haven't done so for a while.
And I was pleasantly surprised...
I saw this movie the other day as well. I really liked it... it was funny. But it does have a lot of wrong ideas about love and marriage.
And the parts where George is falling in love with her sister...Ugh! So painful to watch!

I guess they're okay to watch if you can be aware of the fact that it's not like that (nor should it be) in real life. But I think watching too many chick flicks will inevitably melt our brains...i mean, have a bad influence :P.

Jess xx

Daisiesnroses said...

I updated my blog! You should check it out! :)