9/29/2006

My Testimony

So, I had to write my testimony for something that I am applying for... I figured it'd be a fun post!

Written Testimony-Krista Michelle


Looking back on my childhood, I remember sitting in the backseat of my parent’s car, looking out the window at everything that was passing by and wondering what it would be like if “nothing” existed. I couldn’t grasp the thought of “nothing” ever existing, and that is when I began to wonder about how everything in the world came about… Did it just appear one day? No. Well who put it here? It had to have been someone…
About 5 years later, my grandma, who was a devout Catholic, lived with my parents and me, and she slept in my room. Every night she would read her Bible and pray prayers. I became very inquisitive about this, because I knew what she was doing had some sort of purpose; she was so devout in this every day. I began to ask her many questions, but I still really didn’t understand anything about God and who He is. My perspective of God at the time was only as an imaginary friend, and I saw “only” because I had many imaginary friends (a completely different story). I used to push the chair out for Jesus at the dinner table, and I very much simply imitated my grandma- I thought that by having the necklace (the rosary) the my grandma did, that somehow I was doing something right, while still having no idea what I was running towards.
In middle school, my best friend Debbie invited me to her church, but I never accepted the offer because I was too scared that I wouldn’t be allowed to because it was in the late evening. It wasn’t until my freshman year of high school, when my friend Kristen invited me to her youth group that my life tremendously changed. I accepted, and when I arrived, I was greeted by a loud band, a bunch of people hanging out in a living room, and the youth minister, Garfield. After a warm welcome, he gladly did a back flip, and I couldn’t believe that we were actually laughing and having fun. I really had no idea what to expect. Well, after that, we had bible study, and I kept hearing about the “good news” and the “gospel”, and I just sat there pretending like I knew what everyone was referring to. I eventually learned more about it from Garfield and his wife, Stephanie, and that is when I learned about Jesus, and why I always saw him on a cross in pictures. I finally knew about His purpose, that He came to die for us, and that He loved me, and He wanted me to devote my life to Him. I finally realized that God is more than just a god that people pray to, but a God that actually loves us, by giving His Son for us, and by giving us the gift of eternal life through His Son. I finally understood that I could have a relationship with Him, and that He would change my life.
My salvation was very gradual- but altogether moving. I began to pray, and truly ask God to come into my life. My mom bought me a Bible, and I would eagerly go home to read it, to see what God was all about. I was later baptized on April 15th, 2001. That event is something I will never forget. God surrounded me, telling me that He loved me. I felt weightless, without a worry in the world. Ever since my salvation, I have had an inner joy that reaches to all the depths of my soul; this joy is indescribable. I still have daily struggles in my goal to daily serve Him, but He keeps reminding me that my satisfaction can only be found in Him.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Such a neat testimony, Krista. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm in it!) We just loved watching the whole process of Christ taking hold of your life, despite the circumstances, and then getting to watch the daily process of sanctification that was (and is) so obvious in your life. You bless us tremendously, and particularly in that stage of our lives when so much of the ministry we did seemed in vain. Seeing Christ at work in you and several of the others was what made our time during those years all worthwhile. Love you!